Brackish: When Saltwater Ocean Meets Freshwater

Brackish water refers to water that is of high salinity than fresh water although the salinity is not that high as the seawater.  Brackish water takes place when fresh water comes into contact with sea water like in mangroves, estuaries or there are possibilities of it occurring in the brackish aquifers.  It is possible to treat brackish water using reverse osmosis or other types of water treatment methods to make it a safe drinking water. 

However, the salinity amount will always vary depending on different environmental factors and it is quite difficult to define it.  Salinity variation in most cases ranges from 10% to 32% with the freshwater salinity averaging 0.5%. 

Where You Can Get Brackish Water

Sources of brackish water are usually found in water transitional points where seawater meets fresh water. The water bodies are referred to as estuaries. In most cases, the brackish water sources are usually made by man. Small water streams and large pools do result from construction projects like dike construction and marshlands intentional flooding producing brackish water bodies for freshwater prawn farming. 

Is Brackish Water Potable?

There is need to invest in advanced water treatment technologies to help in purification and desalinating to ensure the water sources are safe for human consumption.  Some of the technologies that are being used in purification process are the ultrafiltration and reverse osmosis. The number of global communities that are investing in the desalination is increasing as they seek to solve problems of water scarcity. 

Common Uses of Brackish Water 

Brackish water at Myrtle Beach  is today being used in thermo electrical power for cooling purposes, gas and oil industries, mining and other industrial uses. After the purification process, it can be used by humans and livestock as drinking water or for irrigation purposes. 

Industrial Use 

Apart from being used as a drinking water, desalinated brackish water can also be used to help in cooling generators. Research studies reveal that more than 95% of saline water that was directed from groundwater storage was being used in industries with the remaining 5% being used in mining and other forms of industries. 

Solving Water Scarcity Issues 

Desalination of brackish water has managed to act as an alternate source of fresh water in certain regions in the United States. However, there are areas where desalination of sweater has been challenged by the public or officials.  For instance, in California, a total of 17 brackish water plants were set up to help in desalination of water in 2017.  Different regions are resorting to treating brackish water to help offer drinking water. However, there are companies and communities which are still not sure of brackish water use and are waiting to see how events unfold. 

With the increase in population and increase in demand for water by both companies, humans and livestock, the use of brackish water is quickly gaining momentum and it will not take long before those who are not sure about its use start using it. 

Leave a Comment